- Category: Minutes2020
- Last Updated: Friday, 30 October 2020 22:07
- Published: Tuesday, 13 October 2020 22:28
- Hits: 2883
Minutes of Meeting held Thursday 8th October 2020 Remotely via Zoom.
Councillor J. Sargeant (Chair).
Councillors T. Beastall, R. Lovell, D. Sargeant & K. Shaw.
One Member of the Public.
John Bourne, Clerk to the Council
11/20. Apologies for Absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor B. Bromley & District Councillor N. Hawkins.
12/20. Chairman’s Address.
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
He thanked all the applicants who had applied for the vacancy for a Parish Councillor.
13/20. Public Comments.
The member of the public who had applied for the vacancy for a Parish Councillor introduced herself to Councillors.
14/20. Minutes of Last Meeting.
The minutes of the meeting held on 27th. August 2020 had been circulated and it was agreed that they be signed as a true and correct record.
15/20. Matters Arising.
Four applications for the vacancy for a co-opted Parish Councillor had been received by the advertised date. Due to this meeting being held virtually the normal procedure for a ballot could not take place. All Councillors had received details of all the applicants and asked to send their choice to the Clerk. The Clerk reported that there had been no need for a second ballot and Carole Hawthorne had received the majority of the votes cast. It was agreed that she should be co-opted onto the Council and she would be asked to sign a Declaration of Acceptance of Office and would then be eligible to join the Council at its next meeting. The Electoral Office of Staffordshire Moorlands District Council would be informed of the co-option in due course. All the applicants would be informed of the result of the ballot and thanked for their applications.
After the short report at the last meeting a discussion took place on the dilapidated bus shelter opposite the old New Inn which had been demolished by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council. A report was given on a similar situation on the opposite side of the road which had arisen some years ago. At that time Staffordshire Moorlands District Council made a grant towards a replacement bus shelter. It was agreed that the purchase of a replacement shelter be investigated and the Moorlands Council be asked to provide a similar grant in this case due to the fact that the shelter had not been maintained and had been removed without prior consultation.
A report was given that the defibrillator which the Parish Council had considered being installed at the Holly Bush Inn, Denford had been provided by the owner of the Inn.
The Chairman gave a detailed report on his review of the Council’s website in the light of new legislation on the matter which came into force on 22nd September 2020. He had looked at the criteria involved and concluded that the site was already partially compliant but had had to change the layout template to comply with the reflow criteria. There was a need to create something which appears similar to the original documents that can be read by a screen reader. He would continue with the process in due course. He was thanked for his information and efforts.
The Chairman reported difficulties in his attempts to purchase the normal British Legion Poppy Wreath. In the light of this and also the current restrictions on gatherings etc it was agreed to send a donation of £20 – 00 to the local branch of the British Legion in lieu of a wreath.
16/20. Planning Matters.
Plans Already Distributed & Commented on by Councillors.
The following plan was objected to:
- SMD/2020/0031 Retrospective Application for the Retention of Replacement Stables at Micklea Farm, Micklea Lane Longsdon.
The grounds for objections were:
- The current building on the site bears no resemblance to the photographs of the former building on the site.
- Why are there no drawings of the current building on the site?
- The current building is a more permanent structure with double skinned insulated walls which is much, much different from the photographs produced of the former building.
- The current building is on a different site to the original “stable” block.
- The site is within the green belt.
- The structure of the new building would lend itself to future human habitation.
The following plans had been distributed to Councillors with comments to be reported.
- SMD/2020/0507 Conversion of Existing Outbuilding to Form Single Holiday Unit at Lapwing Farm, Devils Lane, Longsdon.
There were no objections in principle but that a proviso be added that no long term or permanent lettings be allowed which could become a precursor for permanent residential use.
- SMD/2020/0515 Two Storey Front Extension at Wood Vale, Sutherland Road, Longsdon.
There were no objections to this application.
- SMD/2020/0538 Retrospective Application for the Retention of Replacement Stables at Micklea Farm, Micklea Lane, Longsdon.
This plan was objected to on the following grounds:
- The current building is on a completely different site from that which was previously approved in 2005.
- The current building on the site bears no resemblance to the original stable block.
- The current building is a more permanent structure with double skinned walls which would lend itself to future human habitation.
- Apparently one garage door has been replaced by a stable door to enhance the appearance for a “stable” building.
- Does the building meet DEFRA requirements for the welfare of horses?
17/20. Finance Matters.
(a) For Report.
- The Certificate of Exemption for the Council had been submitted to the External Auditor and acknowledged.
- The Precept Requirement for 2020 / 2021 had been received from Staffordshire Moorlands District Council.
- All the necessary Financial Statements etc had been published on the Council’s website.
(b) Orders for Payment.
It was unanimously agreed that the following items be paid:-
- Chairman J. Sargeant. £23.97 Domain Name Charge (2 years) (Repayment as
- Chairman J. Sargeant. £41.93 Seven Months Basic Website Fee (Paid to Ionos.
- Chairman J. Sargeant. £14.39 Repayment to Zoom Video Communications
- GeoXphere Ltd. £45.00 Parish Online Fee
- J. A. Gibson. £120.00 Agency Work.
- John Bourne. £299.62 Clerk’s Salary & Expenses (nett).
- H. M. Customs & Excise. £70.00 P. A. Y. E.
- British Legion £20.00 Donation.
18/20. Public Comments.
There was no business under this item.
19/20. Any Other Business.
The details of the latest Local Plan had been received and these had been forwarded to all Councillors.
A request had been received that all properties in Sutherland Road should be numbered. The Clerk reported that he had been involved with a similar situation in another area. The proposal, which had originated from Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service had been sent to Staffordshire Moorlands District Council which had decreed that the proposal would need to be requested by the majority of residents. This information would be passed to the requester. It was also reported that all the current emergency services were equipped with technology which enabled them to find any property when required.
It was agreed to ask the Council’s lengthsman to make sure that the entrance to the Common Land on Leek Road was accessible.
The dangerous condition of the old New Inn and especially the disintegrating plywood fencing was mentioned. It was agreed to approach Staffordshire Moorlands District Council’s Environmental Health Dept. on the matter.
The decreasing width of the pavements of the A53 Leek Road due to overhanging trees / hedges and encroaching vegetation would be reported to Staffordshire County Council.
A question was asked as to whether Dunwood First Responders were still in operation. Councillor D. Sargeant offered to investigate the matter.
A discussion took place on the future use of “Any Other Business”. It was agreed that all items should be listed on the agenda for that particular meeting so that Councillors would have advance notice, unless the matter was considered very urgent.
20/20. Date of Next Meeting.
The date of the next meeting of the Council was arranged for Thursday 26th November 2020 at 7:00pm virtually hosted on Zoom.